Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Your Mom Was Right!

Stand up straight. Eat your vegetables. Wear clean underwear.

One of the most frustrating things I see at the gym is people with great bodies and terrible posture. I want to run over and make them adjust their alignment. Even when you aren't in the best shape, using good posture makes you look better and feel more confident. In addition to the aforementioned benefits, there are other reasons to employ good posture: enables deeper breathing, enables good circulation, relieves pressure on your spine. How many of you adjusted your posture as you read this? Think about it the next time you are driving in your car. That's the place I catch myself the most. Stick that chest out, pull those shoulders back, keep that chin up and see how it makes you feel. Enjoy that feeling. Maybe those other people in the gym will catch on and stop getting on my nerves.

As to the second point - eat your vegetables; even those leading a healthy lifestyle often skip vegetables. I am a culprit in this area. I am fine eating lots of animals. I will eat plenty of whole grains, rice, quinoa, and other good carbs. But broccoli? Salad? Green beans? Meh. Pass the bowl. It's not that I don't enjoy them when I actually get around to adding them, I just never chose them first. Green, leafy vegetables not only provide essential nutrients, but they are filling which may lead you to refrain from impulse eating later in the day. So remember to make room on your plate for that spinach. You'll thank me later. (For those who just can't get down with veggies, Max Muscle [and other supplements suppliers - I like the Barlean's version] offer powdered vegetables you can add to your protein shake to help get your daily intake.)

I'm just going to leave that third point alone. You know what it means...

See ya in the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment