Sunday, February 12, 2012

What Are You Good At? Then Do That

I have been really stressed about this move to Raleigh to open a Max Muscle store. I haven't taken the time to be excited. You know why? Because I haven't been doing it my way. I have been taking input from people who have been successful doing it their way which is great. It worked for THEM.

I had the fantastic, good fortune to visit the corporate headquarters of Max Muscle Sports Nutrtion this week. It was a great "Confirmation Day" as a step toward my Grand Opening of the store. I listened to stories of successful franchisees. I was able to sit down and speak to the founder of the company about his desires, his drive, his philosophy. Know what I learned? That although there is a set pattern - a proven model- in the franchise business, there is a unique way to approach it. Otherwise, there would be corporate, carbon-copies of stores with the same cookie cutter management style instead of individual "owners". So, I'm not going to do it exactly the same way as the next guy. I was designed differently.

I think it's our drive and passion that propels us to successfully reach our goals. Then we use our own unique characteristics to get there. Know what I'm good at? Being gregarious, focusing on people, making people laugh, memorizing facts and information, finding joy in the simple things. I am not a list maker or schedule task master. Never have been. Ask my teachers throughout my school days. I rarely did homework. I rarely studied. Somehow I managed to get decent grades by listening, really listening, and gaining what I needed from class. I'm not perfect. I make mistakes, but this is how I do things. I've never failed at anything. I cannot look back on a thing that I wish I'd done differently. I think our paths are already ordained. I think people are put in them to compliment our strengths and humble us in our weaknesses. I am thankful for the people in my path. I always try to learn the reason they are there and take advantage of it. For sometimes they are only there for a brief moment.

So, think about it. What are you good at? What were you designed to do? Are you denying your true nature to fit the model of what the world or your peers or your parents or your spouse or your kids expect of you? Think about how different things would be if people really focused on and did what they were created to do? How cool. Maybe you're not ready to make that leap. Maybe you haven't discovered your gift(s). They're there. Just waiting in the wings to make their debut. Consider letting them show just a little. People around you may frown. They may think you're crazy. They may....oh my....judge you. Or you know what? They might just surprise you. Just as you might surprise yourself. Happiness and contentment are contagious. I hope I can be an example. I hope you can find where you belong and in doing so begin humming on all cylinders. Just consider it. Ponder it...just a little...for me...(oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I can be very persuasive...)

Now I'm gonna go run some scenarios for business success in in my head. And I'm not going to write a single one down. ;-)

YES, I KNOW THAT'S A DANGLING PREPOSITION! Forgive me, Jewel King, Carolyn Spence, Martha McBride, Bonita Keene & Shannon Maurice-Williams!

See ya in the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment